PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, March 31, 2016

I thought it was PUPPS

I debated on whether or not I should share this... simply because, well, it isn't pretty and it's just flat out unattractive and gross.

My first two pregnancies were, dare I say, easy.

You see, I never got morning sickness, didn't get stretch marks or varicose veins, I slept well, never felt sore or uncomfortable...I actually didn't feel much different then when I wasn't pregnant. I know, it isn't fair. I know, I hate myself even just typing this because there are those whose pregnancies are one of the hardest things they have ever gone through (my sister in law is one of those people and my gosh I would never wish that on anyone!)

HOWEVER, this third pregnancy of mine has been completely opposite of all those things. Sickness took a harsh toll the first trimester, those dreaded varicose veins made their debut in all the wrong places during the second trimester, sleepless nights and waddling from unwanted pressure has become an every day occurence, and the weight was packed on quickly which caused many-a-stretch marks.


Needless to say, this time around has made me realize so many things about myself. I've learned to sympathize with those who struggle with pregnancy. I have learned to put my trust in that higher power, knowing that things will get better. I have learned to rely on true, meaningful prayer when times get unbearable and there isn't anything else you can do but pray with all your heart and soul.

I know that sometimes those who have difficult pregnancies keep it to themselves because they don't want those who have never been pregnant, or who have a difficult time getting pregnant, to accuse them of being ungrateful. I think that is silly.

It's not being ungrateful, it's just for some people pregnancy is so very, very hard. If anything going through nine months of some amazingly difficult things has caused me to reflect on just how lucky I am, and just how fortunate I am to have a body that can do something so amazing as this.
^^^this was a pic I took at about 26 weeks...see, not pretty...not pretty at all^^^

With that said, I will spare you all the details but there is one thing I wanted to talk about and that is something called PUPPP also known as Pruritic Urticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy; which is a chronic hives-like rash that strikes some women during pregnancy.

I started getting this itchy rash on my arms around 20 weeks and progressively got worse until it covered my entire stomach, chest and back. It gradually moved down to my legs and feet.  The itchiness was almost unbearable. Sleep was almost impossible and feeling comfortable while doing anything was non existent. I would itch all the time, and I'd wake up to find blood spots all over my sheets (TMI?!). Let's just say I was going slightly insane.


I sought help from many doctors. I tried about every over the counter anti-itching cream you can imagine. I researched day and night what to do and how to get rid of this crazy rash that was putting me into a state of desperation. 


Finally, at around week 32 I went to a dermatologist who told me that there is no such thing as PUPPP because there is no remedy for that and he said there is ALWAYS a remedy for everything! That was like music to my ears...I thought OH my gosh maybe there IS HOPE! He then prescribed me Clobetasol cream and it helped so much! The itching lessened and eventually it slowly started going away. It was like a miracle. I cannot even tell you how grateful I was to find relief. 


So for those who think they have this rash called "PUPPP" there IS HOPE and there IS light at the end of the tunnel and I hope and pray that maybe this post helps you! 


I also put together a list of things that helped the itching temporarily...
1. Peppermint oil (I would mix this with #2 and rub it all over to cool my skin and relieve the itching)
2. Gold Bond anti-itch lotion was the best I could find out of all the anti itching creams
3. Grandpas Tar soap worked great b/c it dried my skin out and eventhough it smelt like bacon I found it helped a bit with the constant itch
4. I would freeze these ice packs and have them ready during the night for temporary relief. Things that were cold would reduce the inflammation and itch. 
5. Benadryll was my favorite thing towards the end because it would knock me out at least for a little so I could sleep, and YES it is safe to take while pregnant!
6. Clobetasol cream was a life changer for me  which you can only get from a doctor
7. Downy free and gently detergent and softener. This was a HUGE factor in my detergent, deodorant, shampoo, soap, lotion, etc. Buy products that are free from all scent!After I did that I noticed the rash gradually go away. 
Lastly, know that it does eventually go away and try NOT to itch it like crazy because it was like adding fuel to the fire when I would just scratch! I know that doesn't help to hear when you're in the thick of it but I promise it does!  

So there you have it...all you ever wanted to know and didn't want to know about my itchy escapade! Hopefully it helps someone out there! xoxoxo
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was unaware of this problem of Pruritic Urticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy. In simple terms we can call it Urtikaria and am glad that you shared best products to get rid of this skin problem. I hope this post will be helpful for other moms to be.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...